Re: [T3] Starter Motor Bush

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 21:18, Simon Glen wrote:
> Can somebody tell me how one removes the brass starter
> motor bush in the gearbox bellhousing?  Can one do it with
> the engine still in place?
>
> Most manuals just say "remove and replace".  In the Muir
> ("Compleat Idiot") manual, it tells one how to remove it
> when the engine is out.  That is easy and obvious.  In the
> Elfrink Type3 manual it describes removing the bush while
> the engine is still in place but using tool number "VW 228a"
> which unfortunately I do not have.
>
> Elfrink also says the the new bush "should be soaked in hot
> oil for a while prior to installation".  Is this necessary?

It can be done without the special tool. some mechanics tap threads into
the bushing and then pull it with a bolt, and a flat bar. To reinstall
the bushing, there is s special tool to drive the new one in. The
replacement bushing is an "oilite" bronze bushing. soaking it in oil
does help the life of the bushing.
--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)