Re: [T3] generator cooling question

On 13 May 2002, at 15:02, Chris K wrote:

> How absolutely necessary is it for the generator to be lined up so that it
> recieves cooling air from the fan? I keep getting oil spit up into the generator
> which I have to clean out every few weeks or it doesn't produce the voltage,
> hence killing my battery. If I could just close off that hole by turning the
> generator enough, I could save myself many headaches.

I think that if the generator doesn't have proper cooling you will be replacing
generators every few months.

Where is this oil coming from? Or is it possibly water that has gotten sucked
into the air intake? There is a drain hole in the bottom of the fan housing, on
the seam, that gets plugged up and this will let water collect there
sometimes. Clear that out and see if that makes a difference.

There really should not be oil in that air stream, so I suggest that you attack
the root problem, rather than the symptom.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054