Re: [T3] some splicing advise?

On 13 May 2002, at 12:04, Micah wrote:

> What solder would be best, and what technique for joining should I use? I
> really have little experience in soldering.

Use standard electrical solder, 60/40 or 62/38 % Tin/lead, with rosin flux
core. Use stranded wire of about the same wire size (20-22 gauge) as what
is in the harness. Try to find wire rated for 105C.

Get some small heat shrink tubing which will fit over the wire. Heat shrink will
shrink to about 1/2 its original size.

Practice first with just your new wire. Strip the wire back about 1/4" and
spread the strands. Push the spread strands face to face into the strands
from the mating piece and then squeeze the strands together. Heat and
solder.

Don't use a flame to solder, use a soldering iron. Don't let the wires move
while the solder is solidifying. This process takes 3-4 hands, so figure out
how you're going to do it before you start on the real parts.

Cut lengths of the heat shrink and slip them over the wire before you start.
Slide them far enough away (4-6") that they don't get warm when you do the
soldering and shrink prematurely. Once the soldered joint is done, slide the
heat shrink over the joint and warm it to shrink it. We have a hot air shrinker
here, but I know people who use a propane torch, held at a distance. If you
do this, it takes practice not to destroy your work.

Don't get in a hurry.   ;-)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org