Re: [T3] Carbs Questions

<x-charset Windows-1252>Hello Neil, thanks for the reply,

>                its odd but i too prefer the early piston opperated carbs
as
> well . the important and often overlooked thing here is the setting of the
> choke gap cold with a feeler gauge as explained in the haynes a difference
> here of .1mm can mean 200rpm faster cold idle .

I was planning on running them withut the choke flap as I mostly drive short
journeys, and at the moment  I've got the choke mechys completely disabled
and starting isn't too bad. I worry about all that extra richness everytime
I stop for 10 mins and then start again! The extra throttle lift would be
usefull though.

>   sounds like these carbs have been rebushed previously as ive never seen
> any from the factory that had any form of bushings in them the spindles
> allways run in the housing.

I think it must have been a VW approved dealer refurbishment as they are so
identical, and I pulled one of the PTFE liners out and the machining is
beautiful- too good I think for a home job by most.

> having fitted at some point all the jets available in my carbs ive ended
on
> 132.5 mains as the most power producing jets my mpg on a long run is about
> 28/30.

Aren't you running a bigger setup though Neil? Mines stock 1600, and at the
moment I'm still only getting avg 20mpg- hence the need for rebuilt carbs. I
think I'll try the larger jets on the left bank- I'm sure this would help
the longevity of the engine, and its hardly up to modern emmissions
standards anyway so a little worse won't hurt too much, and there are few
enough of us anyway! Besides, if the engine stays in better condition for
longer as a result, thats got to be better for everyone, init? I also need
to take another look at the ps&cs this summer and maybe replace them though
they looked very unworn last tiime I looked. Somethings not right ;-(

>because the idle neadle is finer it will give you better adjustment.

How many turns do you have to screw the adjuster out Neil? If its about 3,
does that mean that it should be screwed out 1/2 to 1 turn past the point
where the engine just stops faltering ( instead of 1/4 to 1/2 for the
earlier coarse thread as per Haynes)?

>      best o luck.

Thanks Neil, I think I need it. Its really encouraging though that these
carbs are so simple. I likes simple me! The carb on my Citroen Dyane was way
more complicated with dual chokes and all sorts of linkages- that was only
for a 600cc engine- albeit a higher tuned engine than ours- it would sing at
6-7000 RPM all day in stock form! A pig to work on though compared to my
Type3.

Mark Seaton
'73 TA

</x-charset>