Re: [T3] Minor snag I hope (Important correct glannd nut info)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
Rich wrote:

I think i remember someone saying the gland nut was differnt too. Leon I
think went
through this. Russ, Leon or Jim please check the parts 'fish. I think he may
not
have asked this but it may be relevent.

Yeah ,

The gland nut is different but should NEVER be mistaken with the autostick
glandnut,
that was my mistake twice and I know of other people that ran into this.
This wrong glandnut
head is thinner by 50 percent and the center hole is much bigger.

  I broke two flexplates and two torque converters by using this ,  not fun
losing all the tranny
fluid in the Disneyland parking lot, cost me lots of money and work to fix.

The problem stems from the vendors that are not familiar with the type 3
,they think that
only the autostick exists for aircooled cars. One glandnut was from a
telephone order
an another was from a VW dedicated vintage parts store. Both places nearly
swore  the
part was correct for an automatic.

Be veary careful, BEWARE !!!!

    The correct glandnut for a full automatic tranny looks like a standard
tranny glandnut
with no roller bearing inside. I  was not able to get a new one and my old
original gland nut
looked like it went thru too many inpact wrenches.

To replace mine, I had to purchase several standard tranny gland nuts,
several stock,
heavy duty (thicker than stock) ,  performance (head bigger than stock). I
found that
one of the stock nuts was almost identical to my original but without the
bearing, same
head thickness. Some stock nuts have a head that is about a couple
milimeteres thicker. I removed the bearing off the best one since I had no
source
for a correct new one, it is best to buy an original correct part, that is
if you have a
source for it.

If the head is too thick, the  flexplate and the torque converter will not
mate and will
cause parts to break and great knashing of teeth. To be sure that the torque
converter will mate with the flexplate one must rehurse the installation of
the
converter to the engine with the engine out and make sure everything fits
correctly
without binding or being sloppy.  I created my own nightmare.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
1967 FASTBACK PROJECT

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA