[T3] Generator brushes wearing out

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
OOOps ! I sent a blank e-mail, at least it was short that time.

My generator brushes are only lasting 4 days, I drive alot but not that
much (130 miles per day ) . I do not have a large stereo system , basic
radio/cassete player, I also have a fan for the mesa cooler. My lighting
is of 55/65 watts . I had all of these for a year now so these are not the
problem .

I have a Bosch made solid state voltage regulator and a generator that
was Bosch rebuilt a year ago. My Brushes are the same brand I originally
had. My battery has never had problems and works beautiful, it is
a Sears Diehard with 1200 cca with 8 year warranty.

My charging system puts out 14.3-14.5 volts when charging and 13.2-13.5
volts
under full electrical power load. When the "+" terminal is disconnected from
the
generator, the generator will put out around 32 + volts . According to the
Bentley manual this is all correct.

Am I missing something ?

There are some sparks comming out of the brushes , especially the bottom
one.

Is it possible that when the brushes finally wear out that the final sparks
scuff
the armature ? My first set ran out on Thursday and the Gen light began to
flicker then blink and finally stay on during a long drive. After replacing
brushes
they will last a few days and will not blink the light but just make it go
on suddenly.

The last time I had this problem a year ago, my armature became out of
round (looked like a cam lobe) , I guess the sparking burned off the copper
on one spot until it deformed it.  I replaced the generator and regulator.

If the car is under heavy use, will the generator just bite the dust after
65,000 miles and require replacement ?

Both brushes are wearing out evenly .

Help me with some info to pinpoint the cause.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
1967 FASTBACK PROJECT

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA