Re: [T3] gen problems with leon att jim

On 22 May 2002, at 8:04, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> On the VW generator, where do you place the ammeter, I am thinking of
> purchasing one myself . Do you place it between the thick red gen cable and the
> + on the generator ?

The usual place to install an ammeter is in the line between the VR and the
battery. Thus it will measure just the amount of charge/discharge in/out of
the battery. This will show a small discharge with the key ON, engine not
started, and then show a medium charge once the engine is running and the
RPMs are up.

Under normal driving conditions, this hookup will just show zero, meaning
that the battery has been recharged and the generator is supplying all the
current necessary to operate the car.

If you hook up the ammeter the way you suggest, you should see a current
which is almost always positive, but it doesn't ever tell you when the system
is happy (like the other way does when it reads zero.)

Both ways have their advantages, but the first way is the standard way.

BTW, try to find a meter with small scales. You'll probably find one out there
that reads 60-0-60 or 100-0-100, but for our cars those will barely ever flicker
off zero. Best if you can find one that is just 30-0-30. I know an engineer who
put a 200.0A digital meter in his battery ground strap so that he could see
EVERYTHING. He could read 200A of cranking current, or 0.5A of discharge.
That worked, but it's pretty extreme and beyond the capabilities of most of
us.

I assume you're talking about a permanent installation in your dash.

If you do this, use wire even bigger than that which is in the wire you
interrupt, because you are carrying a lot of current and don't want any more
voltage drop than necessary.