Re: [T3] gen problems UPDATE

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
SIR.LANCE,

Today my next set of brushes wore out again and this time the
red light was flckering a while before staying on solid. Better ?

I did not swap batteries out yet to see if my brushes wore out less, but
I did buy a Ammeter to check the current draw. I hooked the ammeter
between the big red red wire and D+ on the generator and I found the
following:

- After starting just after 1/2 hour of radio time parked 30 + AMPS then
within
  seconds drops to 13 amps.

- Removing my electric fan wire (1 big fan and 5 little ones, running for 9
months now)
  6 AMPS being  drawn with EFI and coil only operating, including the Gen
field.

- Everything on (High beams, fog lights, stereo, emergency blinkers, wipers
etc..) 22 AMPS

All of this looks like normal load and the battery is still getting 13.5v -
13.8v from the
regulator and with no load 14.3v to 14.6v . No RPM change with the Gen
disconnected.

It all seems that when the brushes wear out they would arc to the commutator
and leave
sharp spots in the copper thus wearing the new brushes out.  I gues I should
not just
throw brushes in but should either replace them before the light blinks or
lightly sand
the comutator before putting new ones in, I assume this can still be done
without
removing the Generator from the engine.

WHAT DO ALL OF YOU THINK ?

LEON MARTINEZ