Re: [T3] GEX motor worth rebuilding??

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 18:49, Drake wrote:
> Hey all, Ive got a GEX 1600, I purchased the long block a while back from
> someone with the intention as using it for a core. Is it worth rebuilding
> the motor, considering all of the bad things I have heard about GEX. I have
> the heads off so far, and things dont look too bad. Running very rich for
> some time, looks like the rings were leaking as well. There is LOTS of
> buildup on the pistons and heads. Also it looks like there are either 10mm
> possibly even 12mm studs with case savers installed. One spark plug has been
> cross threaded unfortunately.

What the heck, tear it down the rest of the way and see what you have.
Never can tell, but you might have an new case or crank.
I would be leery of the heads. They probably have oversized "OD" on the
valve guides, and replacements for those are hard to find. And they may
have been welded.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)