Re:[T3] speaking of gauges...

>Also on Gauges, but in a different direction, I want to put an oil temp, oil
>pressure & voltage gauge in my '66, this may be a stupid question, but do
>these gauges care if the car's charging system is 6v or 12v?  I realize the
>little backlights would have to be changed out (if they were 12v) but would
>the rest of the units work as normal?

I don't believe that the 12 volt gauges will work.  I found a 6v VDO oil
temp gauge on ebay about 2 1/2 years ago.  It looks just like the newer 12
volt gauges, but is stamped 6v on back and works well in my '66.  I wish I
could find one that looks more vintage (gray face) but I was just happy to
find a 6volt one!  So, look around, I am sure there are more out there,
especially if VDO made them with the black face/orange needle combination,
which means that they were probably made up through the 80's sometime.

-Yancy Everhart
 '66 Squareback
 '66 Sunroof Beetle