From: "Drake ." <vw_type3@hotmail.com>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [T3] FI fuel system to carbs

>I think what you are asking is if you can "tap into a stock working fuel
>system ?"...

Exactly...What I was thinking was this...

Line runs out of the tank, through the filter then the pump. That heads to
the back of the car, then lets say here in my example it runs back to the
tank via the return line. I now tap out of that "loop" with a tee in the
rear of the car, that "tee" is connected to a good pressure regulator (which
regulates the pressure down to 3 1/2 psi), and that feeds the carbs.

Or would it be better to just remove the electric pump, and run a mechanical
pump, that way I dont have fuel racing around a loop when very little of
that is actually being used.

This is just a hypothecial situation as of right now, im not switching to
carbs......yet :) That all depends on if I need to get something for the FI
system thats going to end up costing more than all the stuff to set up dual
carbs.

Im looking at it from the angle, if I have to buy something thats going to
cost that much already (lets say a pressure sensor for example) then I might
as well go with the carbs, and avoid the fact that the wiring harness is
quite brittle, the TVS is probably quite worn, etc. etc.

I have the injector that I ordered at home, im going to replace that
tonight. I am hoping that it will cure the ills I have been having with the
car. Based on my troubleshooting it should...Ive got one cylinder that is
not firing correctly #1...that injector's spray (if you can call it a spray)
pattern is lousy...switched that injector to #2 and now #2 doesnt work
correctly.

Drake