Re: [T3] Fuel gauge ground

On 29 Mar 2002, at 21:58, Daniel Baum wrote:

> Sticking out of the center of the back of my fuel gauge/warning light
> cluster is a brown or black wire which I assume is a ground wire for
> something. However it is not clear what it grounds. Is it for the fuel gauge
> itself? It doesn't seem to appear in the wiring diagrams.

I can never keep all this straight myself. I had to grab one and work things
out with the Bentley in my lap. The black wire goes to the hot side of fuse #
9 (on a 69.) It serves the oil pressure and generator idiot lights.

Don't you have a Bentley?    ;-0

I think almost all of your electrical system would be properly covered in the
Bentley.

> There is another ground terminal on the back, which I suppose is for the
> dash lights.

I was surprised to find that there are differences between early (-68) and late
(69-) lampholders for these. I didn't think any of these had a ground, but the
Bentley shows one for the late cars and indeed I found one. On early units
there is just a rivet there, but late units have a tab in that position with the
label 31, which is ground.

VW added grounds all around the car starting with the 69 model year,
making your 69 T34 an ideal year.  ;-)