RE: [T3] type 3 engine question

> >Congratulations, 71 is a very good year.
> Mr.Adney is my 70 A good year also? ;.)

	As far as general, overall good value in a daily-driven US market
VW, my personal favorite year is '71 for Types 1, 2 *and* 3.  In '72,
changes for emissions controls began to add complication and reduce power
in Types 1 and 3.  '71 is the first year for the disk brakes and last year
for the upright (cheaper) engine in the Type 2.  In the Beetle, you could
get MacPherson strut suspension if you wanted it.

	I've had a '71 Squareback (RIP - rust) and a '71 Super (RIP -
totalled, but the engine lives on), and they were both fantastic overall
to drive and maintain for an air-cooled VW.

	There are arguments in favor of the older cars (style), and in the
newer models (safety, and loads more power in the Bus), but I personally
think of '71 as a pinnacle year for VWs by some measures.

-Greg