RE: Volkswagen Enthusiast Program(VW 1)311

<x-charset iso-8859-1>In my Euro EKTA CD's (modern and computerized version of the Parts List) the
use of "squareback" and "fastback" are used to describe a type of vehicle.
Ford uses the term "fastback" regarding the older Mustangs (I have no idea
about modern ones).  So some words are simply terms and can't be backed
legally...and I wonder how world-wide this copyrighted stuff can travel?
Could some place far from the shark-infested USA, say S. Africa?, use such a
"USA trademarked" name?  Not being a lawyer I don't know, just a pondering.

Are we sure the Big Three aren't coming down on trademarking?  John J., you
know?

Here's Intel's Trademark & Branding URL:
http://www.intel.com/intel/legal/tmusage2.htm
Not very exciting but all extremely legal (we have one helluva legal team).
Of interest is bullet #3 under the heading "Using Intel's Trademarks &
Logos":
"Do not incorporate Intel trademarks or logos into your own product names,
service names, trademarks, logos, or company names, and do not adopt marks
or logos that are confusingly similar to Intel's marks and logos."

So if VW uses the similar legalese (and I'm sure they do) then using the
registered trademark of "VW" in any name would be considered a breach of
[US] trademark law.  Maybe we could substitute Peoplescar or PC for
Volkswagen and VW ;)

I don't know the whole story but, from my impression so far, it sounds like
an over-zealous legal team at VWoA.  I truly wonder if they know -- or care
-- about the damage they are creating.  Maybe someone in PR and Marketing
should be contacted since a legal team could care less...in their blindered
eyes they're simply doing their job.

  Toby Erkson
  air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
  '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chip, Jamex suspension, 2.25" MagnaFlow
exhaust, etc.
  Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/

</x-charset>