RE: [T3] Leaks, I know this has been covered...

On 25 Mar 2002, at 10:33, Roush, Norman wrote:

> I've been told there is no seal around the fresh air box but recent posts
> indicate there is one.  Is it easy to get and replace?  "Easy" being a
> relative term as I know I'll have to remove at the least the radio and the
> wiper arm/motor mechanism but BTDT.  My seal may be my problem as the tubes
> are clear in my car.

Your 68 has 2 air boxes and 2 rubber seals. Especially in the pre 71 cars,
you can get a plug of something that accumulates in the bottom of the
airbox, which keeps the water from even getting to the hose. Try pushing a
rod down the holes that are either side of the centerline of the car, thru the
louvers from above.

My 69 was clogged up this way by a few leaves which would float around and
clog things, yet would not go away when I probed them. I finally had to
remove the airboxes and take them apart to get everything clean.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054