RE: [T3] Porsche Question

On 25 Mar 2002, at 7:38, Schwein, William wrote:

> I do like the car very much.  It seems just basic like a sports car should
> be.  It didn't come with an engine or transmission at all so I'm really up
> in the air as to what to do with it.  The body has hail damage some but
> there is little or no rust that I could find over the weekend.   Do  you
> have any idea's as to how much an engine/transmission would cost?  Can I use
> a type III engine and FI in it?  If I could get it just mobile (not
> necessarily fast) then I'd probably be interested.  The body work I can do
> for little $$$.

If it's rust free, then it really is worth fixing up, and you should find a real 914
engine to go in it, preferably a 2.0L. I suppose you could adapt a type 3 for
this, but there's little reason to. The original engine is basically a type 4
engine and it's enough different that you'd end up fiddling around a lot just to
put a smaller than normal engine in this car. Originals were 1.7, 1.8, and
2.0L, and the 1.7L engines are pretty wimpy for a sports car.

The transmission might be the hardest thing to find, as the shift linkage is
completely turned around because it's at the back of this car.

There is a pretty good Haynes manual on the 914s, so you might want to
start by finding one of them so you can read up.

What year is yours?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org