Re: 6v VR and talcum powder

On 23 Mar 2002, at 12:51, Y and C Everhart wrote:

> Thanks for the info on my 6v regulator problems, Jim.  I will try to send
> you a good one for the diode addition; what exactly will the diode help to
> do, not let too much voltage in?  How much will it cost?

The diode is a freewheeling diode which keeps the inductance of the
generator field winding from producing a large voltage when the field contacts
open. This inductive surge would normally make those contacts spark when
they open. The resistor that is there limits this somewhat, but not
completely. The diode snuffs it completely AND makes the generator run
slightly more efficiently AND reduces RF noise slightly.

I haven't ever tried this on a 6V unit. If I can do it (and I assume I can) then I'd
charge $10 for the job including return shipping. If it turns out that I can't do
it, I'll return it at my own expense.

BTW, I got a new Gene Berg price list this week and noticed that the have
6V regulators. There were 2 different ones, both Bosch, one for ~$17 and one
for about twice that. I don't know what the difference is or which one you
might need.

> On another note, I spent some time coating all the seals in my car with
> talc.  I know the owners manual says to use talc or silicone, but since my
> seals still look like they are pretty "talcy" from the storing/manufacturing
> of them I chose the powder.  The reccomendations seem to be two vastly
> different products, do they essentially do the same thing (protect and keep
> supple)?

Neither, their purpose is to lubricate, so that the door seals will slide properly
into place. There's really nothing you can do to restore old seals, and I don't
really think they protect much. Heat is the big enemy, but UV may play a
small role. Lots of companies sell these products with the claims of
protection and rejeuventation but I really don't buy it. It's just superficial
cosmetics with no long term effects.