[T3] noisy speedometer in my 1970 fastback

<x-flowed>I recently replaced a snapped speedometer cable in my 1970 fastback.
Accoding to the prior owner, it was broken for a couple of years.
After about a week of perfect operation, the fully functioning
speedometer unit has developed a noisy squeal.  sometimes it is
intermittent but now it is pretty constant, even at low speeds.

Should i crack open the unit and lubricate the mechanism or should I
just get a new one?  If I do get in there, what is a good lube to use
and what should I watch out for?  Looks like I'll need to pop off the
chrome ring to get in there and the tiny flanges look fragile.

Thanks,
Cody