Re: [T3] GL5 - MT1 safe for VW trannies

<x-flowed>>Started checking around and there is a 'new' standard for GL5
>which is GL5 - MT1.  Penerite here in Oz has a 80 w 90  GL5 - MT1
>available and the manufacturer swore that it was suitable for
>(in fact developed for) trannies with copper/brass/bronze components
>(Copper alloys).
>Even says so on the back of the bottle!

If I remember our recent discussion correctly, copper is not the issue, as
bronze and brass both have copper.  The issue is the percentage of
*aluminum* and *zinc* used in the VW brass alloy, and that conventional GL-5
lubricants seem to have adverse effects on the Al and Zi.  The question that
remains unanswered (I think) is the compatibility with the synthetic GL-5
lubricants.

-Mark Fuhriman