[T3] shift coupler

I have searched the website and found that you have to
remove the coverplate under the car to change the
coupler. I could not do this because i could not remove
the plate. is it just stuck or does it run atop the
tranny therefore pinned to the frame? I should it just
come off after the screws are removed? Mine is very
stuck, i couldn't even wiggle it. any ideas?