Re: [T3] crash test on a type 3

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 17:37, Mark Healey wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:50:59 +0000, SIR.LANCE . wrote:
>

> >did VW or anyone else ever do a crash test on a type 3?
> >
> >or has anyone ever been on one themselves?
> >

> >im always in arguements with people about it, they think that since the
> >engine is in the back, that any front end hit will kill me.....i dont think
> >thats so, because of the way the back of the bumper is up against the front
> >end...
>
> I've always figured that having the engine in the rear and the gas
> tank in front you have a default crumple zone, without the worry of
> having the engine wind up in your lap.

Even the spare tire was part of the crash protection.

When VW went to the front engine cars, the engine is designed to go
under the car on a front collision. And if you look at the front sheet
metal on the WC cars, you will see the crumple points stamped into the
metal.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)