Re: [T3] coil location...

On 13 Mar 2002, at 15:13, Steven Ayres wrote:

> JimA=> I thought the carbed engines put
> => it just in FRONT of the generator.
>
> I've often wondered what those humps in the tin were designed for, but I've
> never seen them in use -- I thought it was an FI thing. It might work on
> single-carb cars, but as I understand it they had the coil mounted on the
> fan shroud to the right of the tower.

The FI engines used one of those holes for something else, and I have seen
pictures of the coil on the right, too. The latter makes no sense to me since
that side is already pretty crowded. I suspect that the left tin mounting would
work well with the single carbs, but I don't know for a fact that this was ever
done.

If it wasn't done, you gotta wonder why VW kept those weld nuts in place all
those years.