Re: [T3] Exhaust Smell

On 12 Mar 2002, at 9:52, Shirley, James J CDR (CNSP N4341) wrote:

> I posted this awhile back, I was getting an exhaust smell inside of my 72
> Squareback. I had checked all of the usual stuff, even blanked of the heat
> duct from the outside. After not driving the car for a few weeks I decided
> to give it another shot. Low and behold I think I found the problem, my
> engine cover. I had replaced my engine cover seal some time ago and made the
> assumption it was sealing. I checked the seal by putting  a small amount of
> silicon grease around the lip of the cover, put the cover back on, closed
> the latches, then took the cover back off. What I found was the forward and
> after edges were sealing but the sides didn't even touch. making a detailed
> look at the engine cover I found the cover had a left/right bow in it.

Use a straightedge to verify that it's the cover which is bowed and not the
cargo deck.

If it's the cover, could you just carefully straighten it? I'd try putting it face
down on a hard floor with small spacers under the corners and then stand on
the bow. If that doesn't do enough, use thicker spacers. Start with thin
spacers so that you don't overdo it.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org