Re: [T3] TDC issues

<x-flowed>How much is the mark off? If it doesnt line up its going to be difficult to
time the things with a timing light. The pully really should line up with
the mark in the case. Especially considering its keyed on the crank.

As for the dist yea the rotor should line up with the mark on the dist body.
But you cant have dist body twisted all the way to one direction or the
other, because you will need available twist to get the timing correct.

I believe that in one of the manuals, it shows that the dist drive shaft,
and the notches in it, should be at a 60 deg angle (with the smaller section
pointed forward) compared to the centerline of the case.

Drake Lawson
San Jose, Ca

>From: Jeff Vier <Jeff.Vier@transora.com>
>To: PunkDork55@aol.com
>CC: Type 3 List <type3@vwtype3.org>
>Subject: Re: [T3] TDC issues
>Date: 12 Mar 2002 13:18:22 -0600
>
>I wouldn't think it would matter, but more importantly, don't use a
>screwdriver to check TDC.  the metal blade can really score the piston
>head.  use a wooden dowel from a hardware store - they're only a few
>cents.
>
>On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 13:05, PunkDork55@aol.com wrote:
> > ok, this may be getting a little redundant, but...
> >     I found TDC for cylinder #1, using a screwdriver in the sparkplug
>hole,
> > and both the valve clearances are correct at this point, but the mark on
>the
> > pulley doesnt line up with the case, this should be ok, right?
> >     now, i need to see if the notch in the dist. body lines up with the
> > rotor, and if it doesnt, then i need to remove the dist. and dist. drive
>gear
> > and reinstall them correctly, correct?
> >

> > *Jerrod*

> > Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/