Re: [T3] Turn signal switch - lots of questions.

on 3/11/02 1:03 PM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
> Either a contact has been eroded away so much
> that it only makes contact in a non-normal position, or something has worn
> that allows the lever to move too far. I would suspect the former first.

Actually, I think it's the latter. The contacts were all in excellent shiny
clean condition.

> So you are stuck in high beams?

Sorry. I'm stuck in low beams. I checked the wiring and figured out my
problem. Will fix tomorrow. Apparently I have the dimmer relay wire switched
to either the horn wire or the turn signal wire (didn't have alot of time).
I'll fix them tomorrow. Thank goodness you gave me that tutorial on how to
jimmy the tabs in the connectors Jim, or I would have definitely broken them
off!.

> This 2-3mm is just to let the horn contacts work properly...This has nothing
> to do with the high/low beams or the turn signal, however.

Really? Bentley heads it under "Adjusting the turn signal"

> I have extra springs, but not extra
> nylon pieces.

I'd be interested in getting a spring..

Here's how it appears to me: On my signal, theres the big bakelite piece on
the right. The lever moves the bakelite piece up or down. The cancelling cam
rides on the right side of this bakelite piece, and as it rides, it moves
left (extended). It appears to me that the "cancelling" would have to be
caused by the protrusion on the steering wheel catching the cancelling cam,
thus pushing it and the whole lever back down. As the lever moves down, the
cancelling cam retracts once the lever has reached the off position.

Here's where I'm confused: the nylon pieces that are held together by a
spring fit into grooves in the bakelite piece. So the the lever moves the
bakelite piece, the nylon pieces move with it. So what purpose the spring?
What purpose the nylon pieces?

> The cancelling cam pushes a center nylon piece either up or down, causing
> it to push one of the nylon pieces with the protrusions up or down. This
> catches the TS lever and pulls it back into position.

AHA! I clearly don't have this center nylon piece. Is it big? What's it look
like?

> As long as your wheel has the little blade that reaches into the TS switch to
> trip the canceling pawl, it should be fine.

The little blade is there but it looks like someones dog has gnawed on it.
It's really chewed up. TOO chewed up. Although I can't imagine something
couldn't be faked here.

What I wouldn't give for a diagram of this mechanism. Actually, if I can get
the dimmer relay working tomorrow, everything should be in pretty good
working order. I may have to draw the diagram myself. I'd love to see a
complete working one in action though.

--
Mike Wodkowski
72 FI SQBK