[T3] Welding and Drilling spot welds

I have a couple questions for those in the know:

First, are there any tips from accomplished Arc welders that would be good for the first-time welders?  (namely me)  I purchased a 100amp-maximum rod arc welder and am finding it difficult to get a consistant bead.  I either get no arc, rod attaches itself to the metal, or some rare occasions I can actually get a bead (usually not where I intended, but I'm not going to be choosy yet.)  I did finally get a bead that ended with blowing a hole in the sheet metal...

Second, anyone experienced with drilling our stock spot welds on VW sheetmetal to know what tools/drill bits/proceedures are best and long lasting? I've wasted three regular drill bits so far and not got the job near done yet. There must be a better way than the way I'm doing it.

Then, any tips on re-spot-welding to that I don't REALLY mess things up?

Any tricks of the trade that anyone wants to divulge?

Big Al