Re: [T3] white smoke

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 14:47, Dave Hall wrote:
> Among other possibilities, the likely reasons for a flickering oil light
> are low oil level, too slow idle, very hot/thin oil (eg stopping after some
> time at highway speeds), a worn (but not necessarily worn out) engine or a
> combination of all of them.
> VW does not consider a flickering oil light at idle to be a problem as long
> as it goes out when the engine is accelerated a little.  I think it is an
> early warning of overhaul needed; maybe a very early warning, depending on
> how gently it is driven.

Another thing to consider, white smoke is usually raw gas. Grey or blue
is oil, black is too rich combustion.
Check your oil for the smell of gas. It might be that you have crankcase
dilution, and don't know it.
If the oil is diluted, the oil light will flicker also. But, an oil
light flicker at idle is kinda normal on a 35 year old car with normal
wear.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)