Re: [T3] 72 square, rough idle, #1 missing?

On 7 Mar 2002, at 9:34, Jim Adney wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2002, at 19:47, vw_type3 wrote:
>
> > Yes I have the Bently manual. My dist only has one hose on the diaphragm.
> > Only one spot for a hose.
>
> Okay, then you no longer have the 72 setup and you don't have a vac retard
> at all. The single hose is a vac advance. You should time your car as if it
> were a 73. You will never measure any vacuum in that hose while your car is
> standing still; it only gets vacuum when up to speed and cruising.

Quick follow-up: On the vacuum canister arm inside the dist, there is a 4
digit number. What is it on the dist that you have.

Just to clarify, all the 72 came with a vacuum advance/retard (2 hoses.) If
your's doesn't, then it is either not a 72, or it was changed by someone in
the past. Does your chassis number have a 2 in the 3rd digit?

What's your engine number? It's stamped in the right half of the case just
along the centerline, just ahead of the breather.