RE: [T3] Forging ahead (NOW Hotrodding VW book)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Well, I got the How to Hot Rod VW Engines in the mail today.  Have only read
the introduction and leafed through it, but it looks good.  Of course, it
was written in the early 70's, but since it is still so popular I can only
assume all of the info is still valid.

On the case, it was used but used very little.  I didn't really have much
choice in machining it because I didn't get to see it before it was
machined.  However, the machinist does VW cases on a regular basis and has
for something like 20 years and I don't think I will end up with a better
motor unless I spring for a new case.

I did talk to the guy who I got the case from and he has never heard of the
partial cut for the thrust.  He is old school and as far as he has ever
heard, .040" would be a first cut and .080" the second (and last).  At least
it's not .080"!

-Justin

On 6 Mar 2002, at 23:30, Justin C. Earl wrote:

> The case was supposedly uncut, so I don't know why so much was taken
> off.  Perhaps the case had been cut before?

I had the impression from your original post that this was an unused case. I
was objecting to cutting a perfectly good unused bore oversize. If the case
was used, then it may well have needed to be cut. If that's the situation
here,
then the only unfortunate thing is that they cut the whole .040 from the
thrust
surface so that it can't be cut again. The partial cut is a rather special
operation that only a few places, like RIMCO can do. Most places have never
heard of, or thought of, this. That's one of the reasons why I like, and
recommend, RIMCO.

> I'm not really interested in rebuilding this motor several times... I want
> put it together right and run it for 150,000 or more miles with only
> maintenance.  That's why I am going with full flow oiling, counterweighted
> crank, etc.

Nothing wrong with your intent, it's just that so many of us make mistakes,
especially in the beginning. It's just nice to leave yourself an "escape
plan" in
case something goes wrong.

> Is a 26mm pump sufficient for full flow oiling on a stock motor?  The
answer
> seems to be yes?

All my rebuilds have had full flow with 25mm or 26mm pumps (depends on
which cam.) They've all gone 100,000 + miles.

> As stated in a previous message, I already own the first book (and have
for the
> 3 years I've owned this Squareback) and the second book is in the mail to
me per
> your recommendation.

Once you get it and have a chance to look it over, let everyone know what
you think of it. I think you'll find it interesting and enlightning.  ;-)

We all hope that this experience turn out better than the GEX engine.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054