Re: [T3] engine #

On 6 Mar 2002, at 19:47, Dave Hall wrote:

> > It appears that the prefix letters were left off
> > the official sequences before MY66, perhaps to "simplify" them.

> How strange - those were on the microfiche?

I think maybe I wasn't clear. On my microfilm there are no engine prefix
numbers shown before MY66. From what others have said, I gather that's the
way VW did it.

It sounds like they stamped some letters next to the engine #s in some
earlier years, just for their own info. My guess now is that at some point they
realized that this was a useful thing and that they might as well make it
"official." Thus the birth of the well documented letter prefixes with the 66
models.