[T3] 72 square, rough idle, #1 missing?

<x-flowed>This is a re-do of my first post to the T3 list, looks like my original
message didnt get through from my home account for some reason.

I have a (just purchased for my wife) '72 squareback (FI, M/T) that I have
just finished installing a rebuilt longblock. Also installled points,
condenser, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, clutch.

The car runs rough, especially at idle. When accelerating, its seems to
smooth out. The motor does not decel quickly either, though since this is my
first T3, much less one with FI I dont know if this is the norm or not.

What I have done thus far, please excuse me if this seems disjointed. I have
tested, and adjusted many things this last week.

First issue: I have set the timing, however in the manual it states to pull
the vacuum retard hose off the dist etc. When I pull the hose off there is
no change in idle, nor can I feel any vacuum in the hose. The hose is
connected via a "tee" to the air distribution manifold at a 1/4" port on the
left side. I can not feel any vacuum there either. I squirted some Chemtool
in the port, and saw that it did get into the throttle body. The other side
of the "tee" goes to a valve? (I dont have my manual in front of me so I am
not sure of the appropriate name) next to the air pressure sensor on the
left side of the engine compartment. This device has to larger ports on it
as well, one connects to the air cleaner. I am not sure at the moment where
the other goes.

Second Issue: I have pulled the plug wires one by one with the engine
running. #1 no discernable change, #2 and #3 seem to be firing correctly, #4
there is a small change. I then proceeded to the fuel injector plugs, same
results as with the plug wires. This lead me to beleive that I had a plugged
#1 injector, or something with the injector circuit for #1 and #4. I then
pulled injectors #1 and #2, and with the key on (after adjusting the
throttle switch) opened the throttle. I visually observed #1 squirting fuel,
so its not plugged.

As a side note here, I repeatedly opened the throttle while having only one
injector plugged in at a time, and for some reason only #1 and #3 fire.
Injectors #2 and #4 will fire if I plug the wires for #1 and #3 into them.
Since this is the accelerator pump function, I would have thought that all 4
injectors should fire during this operation. Is this the case?

I then checked continuity of the injector breaker points in the dist. Middle
to one side checked good, then had my wife bump the engine around until I
got continuity on the other connector.

I then re-assembled everything and started up the engine again to realign my
brain with the problem :) Again pulling #1 off the dist cause no real
difference in the way the engine runs. #4 is questionable, but idle does
pickup when the wire is plugged back in. I also swapped the plug wires for
#1 and #2 to verify the wire, its good. This evening I will be checking all
of the valves, performing a compressions test, and ensuring that there is
spark through the plug on #1.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide me with a sanity check as to what
I have dome so far. Any advice will be appreiciated as well.

Thanks

Drake
San Jose, Ca

</x-flowed>