[T3] please (trouble)shoot me!

... running poorly....  whatever was a little bit wrong before, just got a
lot wronger.

 What year? What engine? FI or carbs? MT or AT? Have you done anything
 to it lately?

Sorry to have left out the important stuff.  '72 squareback, MT, converted to
dual Webers, 009, dual exhaust, aftermarket electric fuel pump by PO.
The only things I've done lately are to patch a hole in an exhaust pipe,
service oil pressure valves, and renew hoses between rocker area & breather
stand.  No new parts or modifications.  Symptoms didn't show up 'til a couple
hundred miles after the last time the engine compartment was even opened.

Here's an odd addition:  After staring at the thing and cleaning stuff
(didn't know what to work on next, so figured I'd do a little tidy-ing,
right?) for a couple hours yesterday afternoon, I fired it up.  Started and
ran magnificently for about 5 minutes, idle around 850, very even exhaust
note on both sides, with a barely noticeable lope on the righthand side (#1
cyl has low compression & ugly plug), no backfiring or other untoward noises.
 Took a 2-3 mile cruise around the neighborhood, everything's great, driving
calmly thru all gears, but I'm just waiting for trouble to start.  About
halfway through the trip, condition returned - very lumpy idle, down around
400, sounds like a chevy big-block with a full-race cam.  Huge dead spot
between idle & takeoff.  Smooth (but SLOW) acceleration, but very huffy-puffy
at steady speed.
Again, here are the things I know are OK: valves (006 all around), dwell
(46), gap (016), plugs (8 mos old, freshly cleaned), fuel pump (puts out
about a gallon a minute), fuel lines (1 year old, no crud in filters).
This car has so much to teach me - but what the hell does she want me to
learn this time??

thanks.

--timmy
'72 square