Re: [T3] engine #

Jim wrote:
>>I have always assumed that these were high and low compression
versions
of single and dual carb engines. It appears that the prefix letters were
left off
the official sequences before MY66, perhaps to "simplify" them.<<

Just to reiterate my last post: The letters R and N were neither
prefixes nor suffixes; they were separate identifying stampings that
were not part of the engine number. I think this is the reason they
weren't included in VW's engine number surveys.

Scott
62 343, 65 361, 01 Golf GL