Re: [T3] please (trouble)shoot me!

On 5 Mar 2002, at 10:05, Jason R. Ford wrote:

> To perform a power-balance test,
>
>   a.. Remove all the spark plug leads from the spark plugs.
>   b.. Set the leads lightly back on the tops of the spark plugs.
>   c.. This will enable the lifting of each lead off its plug without using
> too much force.
>   d.. The procedure is to pull the lead away from the plug and ground the
> lead against the cylinder head. This will prevent that plug from firing -
> this is called open-firing.
>   e.. The engine will now be running on only three cylinders.

This will certainly work, but I recommend that you NOT do it this way. This
way leaves you holding a wire in your hand that is jumping WAY up in
voltage a few times per second. I don't think there is any advantage to trying
to ground the spark either, and it is REALLY hard to do with our SP
connectors.

It's much safer to just pull the wires out of the dist cap one at a time. While
this can still give you a shock, at least once the wire is off, it is dead. You
can improve your odds by just pulling the wire out with one hand while not
touching any other part of the car; that way there is no circuit thru you back
to the car's ground.