[T3] Valve issues...

Ok, everyone, I'm confused...
    On my engine, stock 67, dual carbs....  the engine is new, and not in the
car.... The dist. rotor points to the notch in the dist body, and the valve
gap is at .006", but the notch in the crankshaft pulley doesnt line up with
the little projection on the fan shroud.  its like a good 40degrees off... it
IS supposed to line up, right?  and the pulley can only go on one way, right?
 so then, this means that my longblock was assembled wrong?  i thought maybe
it had something to do with the dist. drive shaft, but i dont think so,
becuase the valves still wouldnt be right with the pulley notch...  so what
gives?  does the pulley notch really matter, as long as the valves are in the
right position when the dist is in the right position right?  should i just
take the engine to a mechanic?  what are everyones thoughts on this?  Thanks,
hopefully itll be running in the car soon.

*Jerrod*