smooth than the left side.   But whatever was a little bit wrong before, just
got a lot wronger.
Here's what I've learned, and what I'm trying to deduce therefrom - please,
oh learned ones, tell me where I'm right & where I'm wrong?
Fiddling with idle, mixture, advance, retard produces no desireable effect.
Valves, gap, dwell all within spec.  Plugs firing correctly.
Compression on #2,3,4 all bteween 100-105. #1 down around 90lb. Now here's
where I start thinking...
#1 plug is a little dark, but NOT completely fouled.  No blue smoke, so this
pretty much eliminates pistons, rings, cylinder walls - right?
Fire - yes, actual bursts of flame - occasionally issuing from both exhaust
pipe and carburetor.  Which means it ain't just one stuck lifter, flattened
lobe, or mangled  pushrod, right?  It's both valves that aren't doing (or
being allowed to do) their jobs.
Head studs all seem tight.  No detectable knocks, grinds or other hideous
noises.
So, what are my best & worst-case scenarios here? What have I overlooked?
What else to check before I assume a cracked head, pull it and get new?

Thanks.
--timmy
'72 square
'69 square