Re: [T3] '63 Squareback trivia

On 4 Mar 2002, at 9:34, The Canadian wrote:

> The lack of warm-up equipment also makes for interesting problems when you
> install a later engine into an early car.  On the early engines the cylinder
> head tin around the spark plugs is narrower since there are no warm air 'tubes'
> running above and beside the valve covers.  If you go to install an engine with
> the later, wider tin it WILL NOT FIT into the engine cavity without modifying
> either the engine tin or the body of your car!

I didn't realize that the late engine tin was wider, but those extra "tubes" are
part of the heater, not related to engine cooling. Checking the microfilm, I
see that they started midway thru the 65 model year, at the same time that
the heat control valves moved rearward from the firewall to the heat
exchangers.