Re: [T3] Part 2 - Engine Rebuild Options

On 3 Mar 2002, at 11:20, Russ wolfe wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 10:43, JaransonT3@aol.com wrote:

> > If I use this case, will the fact that the bell housing is not sealed be an
> > issue with a manual trans and clutch?  I am thinking clutch slippage during
> > heavy rains and stuff.  Anyone with experience on this one?  Russ?  Jim?
> >
> That shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about todays part, but the
> universal cases that VW used to sell, included the cutout, and we had no
> problems with them.

I thought that VW used to sell THREE versions of their universal replacement
cases, all modeled on the latest 1500/1600 case:

1) bored for 1200 cc cylinders as a replacement for the 40 HP engines.

2) bored for 1500/1600cc and with all the fittings that you needed for type 1
engines and for type 3 MT engines. 043 101 025 in my microfilm.

3) bored for 1500/1600cc and fit for type 3 AT engines only. 311 101 025L

I could never understand why # 2 & 3 could not have been combined, as you
suggest, but I wonder if John's question is at the heart of this.