Re: [T3] they can run well, Right?

On 30 Jun 2002, at 6:15, Jacob Hoffman wrote:

Yes, they CAN run well.

> I have a '71 square FI AT that has always run rich, and always when it gets
> hot it cannot "go".

The question is WHY is it running rich. Here are 2 things to check:

1) Measure the battery voltage after warming the engine up, at med RPM. It
should be 14.1-14.4V. If it is below 13.5V replace the voltage regulator with a
genuine Bosch voltage regulator. Low system voltage makes the FI run rich.

2) Get in the car and turn the key ON (don't start.) You should hear a relay
click and then about 1 second later you should hear a second click. Do you
hear BOTH clicks, ~1 sec apart? If not, this is an important clue to a
possible richness cause.

Let us know what you find, then we can help you narrow down the problem.

Don't try to "fix" things by mixing in parts from other years. The 69, for
example, has no provision for using the extra contacts in the throttle valve
switch but is expecting a pressure switch which your 71 does not have.

> Just this week my Squareback forced me to start driving my '76 westfalia
> because the flexplate rivets came loose causing the most awful rattling on
> sustained speeds and decelerations.

Are you sure this is the AT drive plate that is failing? It's certainly possible,
but I've never heard of this happening. It is far more likely that the big cooling
fan has come loose from its hub, which would cause much the same
symptoms.