Re: [T3] Timing and other questions

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>On 27 Jun 2002, at 18:12, Ben Doughney wrote:

> I installed a new (second hand) distributor today, because the old one had a bad
> vacuum can and wasn't a Type 3 one anyway. The one that I installed was off a
> fuel injected Type 3, and is vacuum and mechanical advance. It just has the
> single vacuum advance port. I timed it statically at 0? initially, but it
> doesn't seem right, because it is a little hard to start. Does anyone know the
> correct timing for this distributor?

68-71 FI distributor would be set at TDC. 72-3 are set differently. Is this a
single vac adv or vac adv/retard?

> Also, while I was fiddling I noticed that there seems to be a piece missing from
> the bottom of the breather. If it is like the beetle, I think it should have a
> vent pipe going down to the bottom of the engine. At the moment there is just a
> hole on the bottom right corner. Is this how it is supposed to be?

No, this has been changed. Does your breather box have 1 or 2 plastic plugs
in its top? Up to 71 there was 1 plug; 72-3 have 2. They have different hose
setups and timing, and you have to be careful to get a consistent set of parts
in there. It sounds like you probably have a problem in this area.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054