Re: [T3] Ball joints

On 7 Jun 2002, at 20:45, John Jaranson wrote:

> I went to a local shop that was recommended to my by some local VW people. I
> brought my Bentley along just in case.  Good thing, too!  The technician asked
> me for the spec and I was able to show him the specs from Bentley.  He was
> surprised to see toe-in specified along with the camber that is recommended for
> our cars.  He would have set it up without any toe-in if I hadn't had the
> Bentley.  "Are your sure you want me to set it to these settings?  I wouldn't
> recommend it."

The factory specs are somewhat old, and the introduction of radial tires
changed things slightly. With radials, Michelin recommended at that time
that the tires be set to zero camber and toe-in, or minimim camber and toe-
in within factory specs. Either of these works fine.

The important thing is to understand the concept of camber steer and how
this forces camber and toe-in to be considered, and set, together.