[T3] Emissions

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Annual test (MoT) done today, and although emissions are not checked pre '76
(only for excessive smoke) he did do them.  CO was 3.4% (4.5% allowed for
'76 to '85 and 3.5 for '86-on) and HC 156 ppm (1200 max allowed for the
later cars).  Pretty good figures for twin carb Square which is due a
service.

So I've nothing to worry about even if they bring in 1986 levels of
emissions for it.  It also confirms my Gunson CO hobby meter is not far out,
as I adjust the carbs to about 3% CO.

I would have been less stressed if the rear M/C seal hadn't failed between
making the appointment on Monday and going for it on Wednesday!   Still, it
seems to be working OK now, so here's hoping the rebuild will last.

I also found the horn wasn't working (non-adjustable Type 3 style), but
dismantled it (3 cheers for screws!) cleaned the points and added an extra
card ring gasket to slightly increase the movement of the diaphragm before
it opens the make-and-break points.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/