Re: [T3] maybe the world isn't so bad

On 31 Jul 2002, at 7:11, CAD Man wrote:

> I want to know what the great Jim A was doing without a spare fanbelt??? ;-)

I carried one for years without ever needing it. After several such generations
of type 3s I eventually stopped. Over the years I have just kept reusing the
old belts that came off the old engines I dismantled and the one that finally
failed was in pretty sad shape when I put it in (and that's the main reason I
SHOULD have put in a spare, but I didn't...) It started out in that engine with
lots of cracks and still lasted over a year of daily driving.

There's very little load on these belts in our cars, since it drives ONLY the
generator. Most other cars use this belt to also drive the fan, which is quite a
large load once you get to the upper RPM range.

Note also that this makes the type 3 engine almost unique in that you CAN
keep driving after the generator belt breaks. On cars which use this belt to
drive the cooling fan or water pump you have to stop or you'll ruin the engine.
The only other engine that I know that works like ours is the type 4 engine.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054