Re: [T3] Brake Honk

On 27 Jul 2002, at 22:25, Ben Doughney wrote:

> on 27/7/2002 11:30 AM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
>
> > 72-3 did not have a wire up the middle of the column. They are the later
> > style. I can never keep track of how this works, either. I'll have to read the
> > manual.
>
> My '71 has that style as well. It has a copper spring contact on the
> indicator switch assembly that rubs onto a ring on the back of the steering
> wheel, and the horn gets grounded through the column when the horn is
> pressed.

Okay, make that 71-3. I can never keep it all straight.  ;-)

> The copper contact has (or is supposed to have) a plastic insulator
> underneath it to stop it grounding on the metal part of the indicator
> switch, perhaps Mike's one is missing or damaged enough that it grounds out
> when braking?

Another possibility for cars with the early 2-spoke steering wheel is that
someone has removed the horn ring and lost a washer when they put it back.
The horn ring is held by 3 shoulder screws into the hub of the steering wheel.
Each screw has a plastic insulator washer a spring and an external star
washer under it. If you are missing that star washer then the horn ring will be
ultra sensitive and the horn may even go without provacation. You can
replace these with (IIRC) a normal US # 6 star washer.