Re: [T3] ignition key

On 25 Jul 2002, at 21:39, cesaro suma wrote:

> well i got the new keys from a locksmith today ($25), and they look quite a
> bit different than the worn original. it works fine in both doors, but it
> still sticks in the ignition in the off position. if i twist the key just
> right i hear something spring out hard (the steering lock?) and then it
> comes out. could it be a lost spring on the brass keyway, so it is not
> returning and letting the key out? i can get it out so its drivable but i
> would like it to be smooth. do you guys think i need a new tumbler or
> something, or is it fixable?

The cylinders can be disassembled with difficulty, but I'd suggest that you
experiment on a junk one first, before tackling the one you want to save. The
junk one will also be a source of spare parts, which you may need.

A place like Gabriel's VW Lock shop could no doubt fix it all up for you, too.
The cylinders get dirt in them and suffer wear over the years. The little
springs also occasionally break.

Are you turning the steering wheel so there is no stress on the steering lock
while you are trying to do this?