Re: [T3] thermostat adventures

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 12:46, gregm@vwtype3.org wrote:

> 	The first trouble came with a stuck tin screw at the front
> of the engine, near the fuel pressure regulator.  I torched
> it from below, and it came right out.  I was then able to
> remove the lower tin below 1&2 and get to the thermostat.
>
> 	I pulled out the thermostat, then moved the rod up and
> down to check it out.  It was too loose and floppy, with no
> spring action.  That's no good.
>
> 	Took out the 1&2 injectors and the right side intake
> manifold runners.  Next thing to remove was the large upper
> tin piece that covers 1&2 and the flap levers.  Well, the
> two tin screws that screw into the head on either side of
> the intake ports were really stuck.  I tried torching them,
> burning off the powder coating while I was at it.  The
> "best" I could do was to just shear the heads off of those
> two tin screws. :(

Next time you have a tin screw that wont come out out of the aluminum
head, take a hammer and a large punch, and smack hard straight down on
it. this will break loose the oxidation between the steel screw and the
aluminum head.
If the screw slot is rounded out, I keep a good pair of "Vise Grips"
(not knock offs) around just for this purpose and don't use them for
anything else, like welding.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)