Re: [T3] thermostat adventures

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Jim Adney wrote:

> Don't move the bracket, just release the bottom of the thermostat from the
> bracket. This allows the top of the thermostat to come to rest in the same
> position that it will be when it is warm. Then adjust the rod up above until the
> flap is horizontal.

	Jim, my thermostat bracket is currently loose.  The hole on the
bracket that slips over the case on the stud is not round, but is a
vertical slot allowing for at least 5mm of vertical adjustment, if memory
serves.  Do you usually just bolt this up randomly, ignoring this degree
of freedom in the rod/lever assembly?  Or do you mount the bracket high or
low?

	I understand the hot-running requirement that the flaps are fully
open at the point that the top of the thermostat touches its bracket.
Interestingly, on a fresh-air heater upright engine, adjustments to this
system are made entirely by sliding the thermostat bracket around.  On the
pancake, we can make adjustments to both the bracket position and to the
extension of the flap rod.

	Each end of vertical travel for the bracket will make for a
different rotational offset in the lever up above; depending on how the
sines and cosines work out, this should allow me to set a different range
of motion for the flaps for the same linear thermostat travel.  No?  I'll
probably try the bracket in both high and low positions, and see what kind
of range each offers to flap travel.

> That end of the spring has a hook that is ~8-10mm dia. It hooks completely
> around the large dia pivot sleeve, with its shank sitting in the notch formed by
> the bent tab, to keep it in position laterally. The small hook goes at the flap
> end.

	Ah!  Very good.

	Hey, John J. -- take note on this one.  Looks like the spring hook
is supposed to reach beyond the little notch and tab, and hook on that
sleeve.  You might want to have another look at your setup.

-Greg