Re: [T3] thermostat adventures

On 24 Jul 2002, at 0:22, Greg Merritt wrote:

> At 10:11 PM -0600 7/23/02, Jim Adney wrote:
> >
> >release the bottom bolt of the thermostat and let the spring pull it
> >up against
> >the top of its mounting frame. In that position, the flap should be
> >parallel to
> >the airflow.
>
>  O.k. -- so I'll adjust the bracket vertically so that this
> condition is met -- flaps fully open, bracket just touching top of
> thermostat.

Don't move the bracket, just release the bottom of the thermostat from the
bracket. This allows the top of the thermostat to come to rest in the same
position that it will be when it is warm. Then adjust the rod up above until the
flap is horizontal.

> >When you bolt the thermostat back down it should pull the flap
> >closed, but not so much that it binds.
>
>  Bentley says 1-2mm gap left at flaps.  You actually have
> yours shut?  Or by by not binding do you mean to leave a 1-2mm gap?

I think 1-2mm would be ideal, but I usually find that I have more clearance
than that.

> >Chapter 3, page 15, figure 9-8. This is not quite clear until you
> >have the parts in front of you.

>  From that picture, you can't tell whether the spring end is
> just hooking around the little split tab, or whether it's reaching
> all the way out to the pivot shaft and hooking on that.  Do you agree
> with John that it just sits on that little bent tab at the top of the
> bracket thingy?

That end of the spring has a hook that is ~8-10mm dia. It hooks completely
around the large dia pivot sleeve, with its shank sitting in the notch formed by
the bent tab, to keep it in position laterally. The small hook goes at the flap
end.

One potential problem here is that VW used a rather wide variety of springs
that look a lot alike. These often get switched around in rebuilds by people
who are not completely familiar with type 3s. It is quite possible that you
don't have the right spring. This particular spring often gets confused with the
FI throttle return spring.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org