Re: [T3] Loud fuel pump and heat sensors.

On 24 Jul 2002, at 1:44, Peter Legault wrote:

> When, my fuel pump was making a lot of noise some time ago. It was simply
> that one of the fuel lines at the pump area had a slight kink in it. It also
> made the car run like shit at higher speed. I simply got under the car and
> rearranged the fuel lines so they weren't kinked. All was well and the pump was
> again quiet.

Anything that impedes the flow of gas into the pump will cause the inlet
pressure to drop to the point where the pump cavitates and this causes it to
make more noise. It also reduces the output flow rate so that the pump can't
keep up with the demands of the engine, making it run lean and hot.

If the filter screen at the tank outlet is blocked this will cause the same thing.

All these things are bad and can usually be fixed pretty easily.
-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054