Re: [T3] ignition key

On 24 Jul 2002, at 8:54, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> Is there any way to identify the original keys to the car. My glove box key
> is bigger than the ignition, circular in shape with the top part made of the
> VW logo . My ignition key has a VW stamp on the top and shaped with a tab on
> one side. The chrome is worn off half the key. There are numbers/codes on
> both keys. Do these mean anything?

Both of these sound original, and the numbers are the codes that a
locksmith would need to make a code key replacement. If you have an
original you're pretty lucky, but if this is the one that got stuck in the ignition
cyl, then there is probably something wrong with the cylinder. A locksmith
might be able to fix it up.

A better bet might be to send it all off to the guy who specializes in VW
locks. Wasn't this Gabriel's, or something like that?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054